Friday, July 14, 2006

Week of Sabbath I, Day Seven, Evening Devotion

Prayer for hope and healing:

God of All,
You are holy, and I bow before you. Thank you for keeping me safe this day, and for the many opportunities I have faced. I pray that my actions have been pleasing to you, and that I have blessed the others whom I have met today.
Amen

Reading: Matthew 9:10-13: All are welcome at the Lord’s table

And as Jesus sat at dinner in the house, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, ‘Why does your teacher eat with tax-collectors and sinners?’ But when he heard this, he said, ‘Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.’

Meditation:

One of the great gifts my mother gave to me was that she never picked my friends. Well, once, but it turns out there was a good reason for that. Except for that time, Mom let me hang out with all kinds of folks, and learn for myself which ones I should spend time with.

The Pharisees could take a lesson from my mother. They thought they could tell Jesus and his disciples who the “right sorts of people” were. They were appalled that he would hang out with riff-raff like tax collectors and other sinners.

Jesus offers a good reply—“the tax collectors and sinners are in need of my teaching.” But the rest of the good news here is that we are all sinners. Really, that’s good news. It’s a level field, and we can all be called into Jesus’ ministry of love and healing. There’s no point picking certain folks to hang out with Jesus, because the truth is, we’re all the same, and we all have need of him.

--How do you need Jesus today? Spend some time hanging out with him in prayer.

Prayer of joy:

Lord,
You are the best friend of all! Thanks for wanting to hang out with me, and with all the other misfits like me. I’m so glad that you love me, and I feel blessed that you have called me into your kingdom.
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home