Sunday, July 09, 2006

Week of Sabbath I, Day One, Evening Devotion

Prayer for healing:

God of grace,

You are our light in darkness, our hope in times of despair.

Help me to remember that you are present with me always, and to call upon you when I am in need. Forgive me when I doubt you, and when I fail to trust in you. Amen

Reading: From Exodus, Chapter 16: The giving of bread and Sabbath

On the sixth day the Israelites gathered twice as much food, two omers apiece. When all the leaders of the congregation came and told Moses, he said to them, ‘This is what the Lord has commanded: “Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord; bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning.”
On the seventh day some of the people went out to gather, and they found none. The Lord said to Moses, ‘How long will you refuse to keep my commandments and instructions? See! The Lord has given you the sabbath, therefore on the sixth day the Lord gives you food for two days; each of you stay where you are; do not leave your place on the seventh day.’ So the people rested on the seventh day.

Meditation

I can remember being a child, in those long days before Christmas. I’d go into the living room, paw through the brightly wrapped boxes underneath the Christmas tree, and find the ones with my name on them. And then the next day, I’d do it all over again. As if some of my presents had disappeared overnight. I just didn’t trust that they’d still be there.

When the Israelites were in the wilderness, God sent them food for each day. The seventh day was to be a day of rest, though. So on the sixth day, God sent a double portion, so that the people would have enough food for the next day. Still there were those who went out on the seventh day to collect food, as if they did not believe God’s promise of abundance on the sixth day and rest on the seventh. They not only missed out on food for that day, but they missed out on the day of rest which God had provided by giving so amply the day before.

It’s hard to trust in things we can’t see. It can be hard to believe that God cares for each of us (yes, you) so much that God would provide for us individually. But God has provided so many great gifts for us—the gifts of love, family, friendship, community, and the promise of eternal life.

--How does trusting in God free us to be better servants of God and the world?

--How can you practice trusting in God’s promises this week?

Prayer of Joy
Holy One,
Thank you for the gifts you have bestowed upon me. I give you thanks especially this day for _________________________ . And I dedicate these moments of sabbath rest and meditation to you, who gave us the gift of the Sabbath. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home