Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Week of Sabbath II, Day Two

Prayer for hope and healing:

God of love,
Help me to see love in those I meet along life’s journey. And help me to be love for my neighbor in need, tending to the needs of those who are my sisters and brothers. Forgive me when I turn away from those who need my help, and strengthen me to provide it when I can. Amen

Reading: Matthew 5:38-42

38 ‘You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” 39But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. 42Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.

Meditation:

Walter Wink, whom I like to call a “theologian of justice,” has gone to great lengths to show that Jesus’ admonition to “turn the other cheek” is actually an underhanded way to get the best of an adversary in the Roman Empire in the century. The theory goes that the adversary will strike you with a fist on the right cheek (since all adversaries are right-handed), but when you offer your left cheek, he will be forced to slap you. The slap makes him look silly. Okay.

I love Wink—I really do. But I think this passage is best read as written. Jesus asks us to live differently from the way we’ve been taught. Jesus asks us to practice radical nonviolence, to be willing to look silly ourselves to avoid harm to others. He asks us to practice radical giving, to be willing to give not just that bit we can surely afford, but to give something we might need ourselves, if someone else is in greater need.

These teachings are difficult. But no one can accuse Jesus of asking little, or giving little, for that matter. He gave all that he had, and asks us to give a lot as well. It is the least we can do, really.

Prayer of thanksgiving:

Lord,
It is difficult to turn the other cheek, especially when we have been grievously harmed. It is hard to practice nonviolence in the way that you teach, and to give from those things we need. Lead us and guide us to learn your way, and be patient with us when we stumble. For we desire to do your will. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home