Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Week of Sabbath II, Day Four

Prayer for healing:

Spirit of comfort,
Surround me in times of loneliness and pain. Lift me up in your strong hands, and teach me to surrender to you. Help me to know your presence when I can see only darkness. Bring me back to joy. Bring me back to life. Amen

Reading: From Psalm 138

I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
before the gods I sing your praise;
I bow down towards your holy temple
and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love
and your faithfulness;
for you have exalted your name and your word above everything.
On the day I called, you answered me,
you increased my strength of soul.

Meditation:

I love the idea that we have “strength of soul” which can be increased. I can’t help but picture a bunch of souls (don’t ask me what they look like—it’s kind of a murky vision) in a weight room, working out.

What sorts of exercises lead to strength of soul?

What is the benefit of having a “strong soul?” How does strength of soul lead us toward the fulfillment of God’s vision for us?

Think of a time that you felt weak. Did you feel that weakness in your soul? How did you rise above it? If that time is now, how can God help you?

Prayer of thanksgiving:

God of love,
Thank you for hearing my prayers. I know that you receive every word I send to you, and that you know the prayers of my heart, before they ever cross my lips. I give you thanks this day for the strength you have given to me, especially when I have needed it most. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home