Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Search for God

Prayer in Preparation for Meditation:

God of Light,
I seek your presence more deeply in my life. And yet I know that it is my own heart which must open to you. Open me now, that I would take you into my being, and choose your ways in all that I do. You are my rock and my redeemer, and I bask in your love. Amen

Reading:

We would know more of you

You are the God of all truth, the God of deep hiddenness.
God of all hiddenness who shows yourself in your being hidden,
who hides yourself in your disclosures,
We would know more of you
of your goodness and your mercy,
of your large purposes and long-term dreams,
In your presence we become aware of how little we know of ourselves,
of our interests and passions,
of our fears and dreads,
of our own wonderments and gifts.
In your truthfulness, let us know more of you
and in knowing you, ourselves as well.
We pray in the name of Jesus, where we see you fully,
and ourselves clearly. Amen

--Walter Brueggemann, Old Testament Theology Class, September 29, 1998

Meditation:

One of my favorite activities when I was a day camp director was the Scavenger Hunt. I’d write up a list of questions to answer (how many benches are there in the park?) and things to find (ten pieces of litter, a branch in the shape of a letter). The kids seemed to enjoy searching for the items on the list, and we’d always have prizes for each group as they finished.

There is a prize in our search for God as well. In fact, as the great Hebrew Scripture scholar Walter Brueggemann reminds us, there are several prizes. We get to know God better. We find ourselves seeing Jesus more clearly, as he is the manifestation of the Creator. But the search itself is a prize. In searching for God’s face, we come to see our own more clearly.

What have you learned about yourself, by looking for God?

What has God shown you today?

Prayer of joy:

God my Creator,
Thank you for making yourself known, and for allowing us to search for you as well. I give you thanks for creating me in your image, and for enabling me to be like you in so many ways. I thank you for the gift of Jesus Christ, who shows us your love and compassion, and leads us to make them our own. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home